Garage Floor Question

Old 03-05-10, 07:05 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Floor Question

I have a medium sized (30 x 30) garage attached to my house. The floor of the garage is asphalt. For all appearances, it looks like they took the leftover asphalt from the driveway and paved the garage, rather than pour concrete. Currently, the foundation wall in under the garage door is concrete and the top is roughly 2.5" above the asphalt (both inside and outside).

I would love to do an overpour of concrete over the asphalt in both the garage and the driveway. As the garage is attached to the house, and it appears that we have full depth footers under the garage, I think I could easily pour a 4 to 5" slab over the asphalt with no problem.

I am curious what problems I would see if I either poured concrete or paved over the existing asphalt driveway. From the looks of it, the asphalt is maybe 15 years old. The garage asphalt is in OK shape, although not very level. The driveway portion is cracked in several location and my fear is that whether I place concrete or pave over the asphalt, the new application will fail.

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 03:27 AM
P
Paving with concrete over asphalt is called whitetopping. They have been doing it in parking lots and even on roads & highways for several years. However, this is over heavy duty asphalt. I don't think I've ever heard of it done residentially.
A question though...If you put 4 inches of concrete over your driveway, wouldn't the drive be 4 inches higher where it joins the street? How about overhead clearance into your garage door?
I'd tear out and replace the asphalt with concrete. That's how it's normally done.

Old 03-06-10, 08:00 PM
H
Existing Conditions

Currently, the garage floor (asphalt) and the start of the driveway are roughly 2.5" below the top of the foundation wall at the garage door. In other words, when you drive into the garage, you have have to drive over a 2.5" section of concrete foundation, then back down to the asphalt. My driveway slopes to the street quite well, with the last 3' pitching up to the stree (yess, this creates a large puddle in the wet season). If I Raised the level of the driveway at the garage by 1-2 inches, and pitched it towards the street, stopping roughly 2' short of the road, I think I would come real close to eliminating the puddle, not to mention, I would make the driveway somewhat "proud" of the lawn on each side. As for inside the garage, I see no problem raising the floor level up. The door we have is roughly 8' tall.

Old 03-07-10, 04:54 AM
P
I see what you're saying, and it might work. However, if I were spending all that money to have this done, I would remove the asphalt first.
If you decide to go ahead, be sure to joint the concrete correctly. That's the most common reason why concrete cracks randomly...it was not jointed often enough nor deep enough. Good luck.