Brick Patio:retaining wall or house foundation?

Old 03-15-10, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick Patio:retaining wall or house foundation?

Hey everyone. I have a quick question in regards to an outdoor brick patio. I'll be using the basket weave design and in only rectangular shapes so no cutting needed But I am tossed about whether or not to run the patio all the way up against the foundation of the house or not. I'd prefer to for visual reasons, but I've also heard that it is good to leave space for drainage. Any suggestions out there? Thanks in ahead.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 03:59 AM
I would not want to encourage drainage against my foundation. That just seems to be a "water in the basement" situation in the making

In fact, you should grade the base for the brick patio so that water flows away from the foundation. I believe that the slope should be at least 1 inch for every 10 feet.

Old 03-20-10, 02:39 PM
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It seems strange to leave any spacing between foundation and patio. And, I'll definitely be making sure I have the appropriate slope for the patio as well. Also, using the foundation of the house, I figure it should be easier to insure having a straight patio all together (I'll still be using some line for the the opposite sides to make sure). Thanks for the help! Off to work.

Old 03-20-10, 03:22 PM
If you are using interlocking concrete pavers for the patio, you control the drainage by sloping the compacted base so you can then use a uniform 1" thick setting base (uncompacted concrete sand).

Butt the pavers tight, spread masonry sand on top and vibrate to level and work the sand into the joints. Make sure you have edge restraints to maintain integrity.

If it is a clay brick patio, you are on your own.

Dick

Old 06-01-10, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the help...I just wanted to post my update. I finished the patio a couple weeks back. I did all that was suggested by concretemasonry and everyone, looks great, drains great. Thanks for the help guys...now I'm working at cleaning off the remaining polymeric sand that dried on the brick. I was a little sloppy, I should have been a bit more careful before watering. I'm currently using vinegar and a brush, suggestions are welcome.