Hairline cracks in cement coating on cinderblock house

Old 03-17-10, 08:54 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hairline cracks in cement coating on cinderblock house

I have a cinderblock house. Built in 1955. there are hairline cracks in the coating -cement?- that is covering cinderblock. What should I repair the hairline cracks with?
Also, after that should I thinly spread cement -or whatever it is - over the crack and slightly texture it to try and match rest of house . I plan to paint the entire house after this.

Old 03-17-10, 01:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I assume you have stucco over the block. If the crack is small/narrow and stable [not loose] I usually use latex caulk to fill the crack. Generally a thin crack looks ok if you don't add any stucco texture. A larger area would need to have stucco applied in the same manner [texture] that was used on the rest of the stucco. Depending on the type of stucco finish used, the minor cracks that have been caulked can be textured with caulking by either using a putty knife or with a sand finish, a sponge.

Fresh paint will help to hide the repairs. While it's possible to apply one coat of paint and get a decent looking job, it's best to use a primer or flat latex paint [thinned 10-15%] and then a full coat of a quality latex paint. That's assuming the stucco is currently unpainted, there is different prep needed for repainting - just let us know. Most masonry paints are a cheaper grade of paint and won't last as long as a good exterior house paint. The best finish you can use is an elastromeric coating which also helps to waterproof the masonry. It costs a little more and doesn't go as far per gallon.

Old 03-18-10, 11:16 AM
M
Painting over hairline cracks in cement coating on cinder block

Thanks for the advice on the cracks in my cinderblock home. The mystery coating over the cindercblocks is very thin- i was told it was not as professional as stucco- merely a coating of cement to cover the cinderblock.The housae is already painted but I am going to repaint it. In any case- should I still paint with elastromeric paint?

Old 03-18-10, 02:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, elastromeric would be a good choice. You probably won't need a primer but a lot depends on the condition of the current paint. When latex paint isn't repainted soon enough, it starts to deteriate often making the substrate unsuitable for paint to adhere to. You can identify this by running your hand across the paint - if it's chalky you'll get some paint residue on your hand. It's best to wash it off but when you can't you need to add emulsa bond to your 1st coat of paint. If you use elastromeric, add EB to your primer.

Old 03-19-10, 01:58 PM
M
Dazed and confused by elastromeric coating

Okay...........now I'm a little confused by your paint advice. You said elastromeric would be a good choice and I probably won't need a primer. If it turns out that I do not need a primer-(my current paint job is in relatively good shape- I'll probably just spray off the house first to remove dirt)
so if i do not need primer then is it ok to just apply elastromeric coating with out a primer thusly no EB? Because you said if i use elastromeric then add EB to my primer- what if i don't need a primer? Thanks for bearing with me!

Old 03-19-10, 03:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
EB helps the new paint to adhere to chalky paint. I've never added it to elastromeric paint, so I'm not sure how well it would work or if it would be cost effective. EB works great with either latex primer or latex paint. You only need the EB if the current paint is chalky and you can't wash it all off. EB is formulated to be used only with the 1st coat of new primer/paint, it isn't recommended to be used on the 2nd coat.

If I was to paint your house and chalk was a factor, I'd wash it down, rinse well and then apply a quick coat of latex primer or paint with EB added, then the elastromeric top coat. If chalk is not an issue, [still wash the exterior] then I'd only prime raw spots [if any] and then apply the elastromeric paint.

Elastromeric paint is different than average latex paint. It's thicker, doesn't go as far [per gallon] and dries to a rubbery like film which allows it to seal minor cracks.

Old 03-19-10, 06:59 PM
M
Thank you

Thank you- your answer clears it all up!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: