Need ideas on tying brick to structure from face of brick

Old 03-21-10, 08:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need ideas on tying brick to structure from face of brick

I got a bit of a problem with rotten structure behind a brick wall.
The 2x6 walls are rotten for about 8-10’under 2 windows. These windows meet at a right angle. Both legs and the corner of the angle are completely rotten from a poor window install about 8 is years ago (as best as I can tell)!
So I essentially got 16-20’ of wall and roof being held up by not too much.
This usually wouldn’t usually be a problem, but there is about a 3’ brick facade under the leaking windows. This rises to approx 4’ after the windows and goes around the perimeter of the house.
So whets the best way to repair? I’m most concerned about tying the brick to the structure. Probably ˝ of the brick ties are rotted away (yeah this must have been a major leak for a long time). I will be tapcon (or nail) new ties to the brick to replace the rotted ones but I cant physically tie the ties to structure in the
Traditional way (bricks in the way) so what I been thinking was to cut a slot in the sheathing and pull the ties thru, and then fasten to the 2x6. Unfortunately this causes me to cut my tyvec..... Not really good, so imp going to seal with acoustic sealant.
I could drill in a grout line and epoxy in a spike or lag or something but i don’t really like that idea.
Any other ways to do this without cutting the tyvec? I know the best way is to rebrick but it’s not an option (unavailable brick and cost). If it wasn’t all the way around the house it’d be gone by now

Old 03-22-10, 05:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What about a hilti shot gun?

Old 03-22-10, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
What about drilling a hole in the mortar joint and squirting some low expanding spray foam between the house and brick. The spray foam sticks to almost anything. Or maybe some polyurethane constructive adhesive.

Old 03-22-10, 10:32 PM
J
Interesting ideas but a direct rigid connection to the fraiming might damage the vaneer if the place settles.

Spray foam might work, but im not sure of its strenght, THe windows were foamed in place, and i pushed them out without any problem. The foam sticks but isnt strong.

PU adhesive would work if the brick was tight to the sheathing, but theres about a 1" gap from the brick to the sheathing so the PU isnt the best idea.

Im leaning towards tapconning new ties tso the brick and pulling them thru the new sheathing and housewrap and fastening to the 2x6 studs. THen seal the cut sheathing with acoustic sealent,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: