Outdoor Fireplace

Old 03-23-10, 11:39 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Fireplace

Hi,

I am looking to build an outdoor fireplace that matches the massive outdoor stone patio, with stone walls, and stone pillars, waterfalls, and a small pond that I built last year. I am not an expert mason but I am pretty experienced and confident I can get the job done.

Basically I want to build an Stone Fireplace using Belgard Stone Blocks. I have a pretty good idea how I am going to do the foundation already. I was going to dig deep enough down and compact the dirt and then do 5 inches of compacted gravel and then on top of that i was going to lay a 4-5 inch cement slab as the foundation. From there I was going to mortar the stone block base using hydraulic-setting refractory mortar.

So I think I can do the mortar and the stone work. My problem is with the firebox and the chimney. I realize that I should probably use firebricks for the firebox and use some sort of flame retardant mortar/caulk. If anyone has specifics that would be great.

Furthermore I am pretty lost on the chimney engineering. How narrow do i keep it how long, etc. The fireplace is going to be just shy of 9 feet tall. The Firebox is going to be 46X40.

Anyone that has done this on their own please chime in. Its been very difficult to find anyone that even has experience with something like this.

Old 03-24-10, 06:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Certainly firebrick for the box and a non-water soluble refractory cement. Here is a diagram of a typical fireplace with dimensions:

Vestal Manufacturing - manufacturers of fireplace accessories, gray iron castings, building materials, municipal castings and more

You want the PDF called Fireplace Dampers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: