Concrete block vs poured concrete

Old 03-23-10, 11:48 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete block vs poured concrete

Hello all!

I am starting my landscaping project which calls for a small (three foot) boundary wall around my front lawn. Originally I was going to pour the footer, lay cement block and stucco to match the house. I just found out about concrete stamping which I thought could look really nice and I'm looking for input on whether it may be cheaper to build the forms and pour concrete for the wall instead of building it with block. I'm new to all this so I don't even know if it would be worth it for a concrete truck to come for the pour or if I could mix the cement myself. I'm trying to include a picture of the project so I hope it works. Thanks in advance for any help or advice provided!

Old 03-23-10, 12:08 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The concrete pros will probably check in later today. From what I see, it looks like 100 linear feet or more of concrete. With a portable mixer you will have a long summer of mixing and pouring.
What part of the country are you in? Most areas require footers to reduce frost heaving of the ground which could quickly destroy your project. Your plan looks attractive but get the mechanicals right so it will be around for many years.

Old 03-23-10, 12:39 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the tip. Although the picture doesn't show it I was definitely planning on a footer. I live in California so the frost line is minimal I still want the footer for the stability of the wall. This was just a representation of the wall that would actually be seen. So portable mixer is out of the equation then. I just wonder what would be more cost effective still, concrete or blocks?

Old 03-23-10, 01:43 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If a concrete truck can get to the area easily, that's the way to go. Two pours, one for the footings, about 4 yards, depending. Then the walls, in the range of 10 yards. You should get a couple of quotes, they already have the forms and for to build them is it pretty much a throw away for the materials after. The pros will have other options I'm sure, but this would be a big DIY project.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: