cinderblock chimney removal

Old 04-02-10, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cinderblock chimney removal

Hi guys, I have a cinderblock chimney about 2' wide by 20' tall that i would like to remove and replace with metal piping.How expensive would it be to have it removed and taken away? Who would I call a mason? I'm sure I could do it myself but I was wondering if it was inexpensive for someone to remove it and haul it away then I might go that way. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-10, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Why would you want to remove a masonry chimney and replace it with stove pipe?

The best way to figure the cost would be to get several estimates.

Old 04-03-10, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The chimney is rather old and in need of repair and I thought that it would be cheaper to remove it and replace it with the piping rather than to have it rebuilt. I know masonary work is not cheap. Just looking for the most economical way of doing things. If it wouldn't be that expensive to have the blocks removed and hauled away I would probably go that way instead of me removing them and then having to find a place to dispose of the block. My county recycling center only takes leaves and brush, they do not take concrete. I just thought some of you out there might of had some concrete removed or had a general idea of what the cost would be before I started having people come over for estimates. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-10, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The chimney that came with my house was built incorrectly and placed on the wrong wall for the wood stove to draft correctly so I tore it down and built another. It was only about 15' high and using a chisel on the mortar - wasn't too difficult to remove.

Have you considered having a liner put in the flue? or is the masonry in danger of collapse?