concrete over wood

Old 04-04-00, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
What is the best way to lay concrete over a wood subfloor? It is necessary for the marble tile to layed. The significant problem is the floor is not level. It dips in the center. The concrete will be poured in a foyer, hallway and kitchen. It needs to be as level as possible.

Old 04-05-00, 09:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Personally, I think a mortar bed installed on an ailing wood floor (or any type of filler for that matter) is a very poor idea, because it is a cosmetic approach and not a solution. A 3/4" thick mortar bed (the minimum thickness for residential use) will add considerable weight to the floor, and the floor was probably not designed to carry the additional load. A dip in the center of the floor is a structural problem, and that's what you should be addressing.

Now that I have said my two cents worth here is the answer to your question:
1. Staple down waterproof rosin paper overlapping sheets width wise by at least 2", and 6" at any splice.
2. Purchase 1" 20ga. Chicken wire for reinforcement.
3. Mix Portland Cement and Masonry Sand in the Ratio 1:4, in the driest workable mixture possible.
4. Apply a 1/4" to 3/8" layer, then allow to stiffen. When it will support your weight on knee boards and it's still curing, lay the wire on the under bed, then top coat to a minimum of 3/4" thick, and rod level and true.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: