Building decorative rock wall as facing on O/s wall

Old 04-29-10, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Building decorative rock wall as facing on O/s wall

I have a log home and the front wall of the log home has about 3-4 feet from ground to bottom log that is currently covered with decorative wall board (looks like rock/shale). I want to rip off the wall board and perhaps nail on a piece of white rigid insulation sheeting to provide extra insulation. I live in northern Manitoba. From there I would like to face this wall with small stones, 3 - 6 inch diameter that I can pick directly out of the lake in front of my home. I presume I would use a cement/sand mixture to build my rock facade. This will be deorative only and does not support anything. I will just build the stones up to the bottom of the first log.
Any suggestions on how I tackle this project so that I don't have the rocks come tumbling down!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-10, 08:00 AM
Rock/stone mason???

Originally Posted by papaoma View Post
I have a log home and the front wall of the log home has about 3-4 feet from ground to bottom log that is currently covered with decorative wall board (looks like rock/shale). I want to rip off the wall board and perhaps nail on a piece of white rigid insulation sheeting to provide extra insulation. I live in northern Manitoba. From there I would like to face this wall with small stones, 3 - 6 inch diameter that I can pick directly out of the lake in front of my home. I presume I would use a cement/sand mixture to build my rock facade. This will be deorative only and does not support anything. I will just build the stones up to the bottom of the first log.
Any suggestions on how I tackle this project so that I don't have the rocks come tumbling down!!
Come on.....there has to be an amateur rock/stone mason out there that can get me started on this project???

Old 05-04-10, 08:45 AM
Not a stone mason but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night?!?

Actually, I've not done this project but if you google "Rock Solid", it's a TV show on the DIY network that has done river rock wainscoating (sic?) and retaining walls that are really similar to what you want to do. There are episodes on that you can play on demand on the site, search them and I'll bet you'll find at least one that will help you out. They are a bit hammy but I think you could learn enough to get your project off the ground.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-10, 02:43 AM
here's our method

attach vapor barrier membrane then expanded wire mesh - both mechanically attached,,, trowel on base coat of polymer-modified cement w/integral color then, when dry, another coat of same & carve,,, flashing as rqd.

addl insulation's always a good idea Beer 4U2 i'm leery of river stone w/o mechanical attach, brick ties, &/or brick ledge.

Old 05-10-10, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by stadry1 View Post
here's our method

attach vapor barrier membrane then expanded wire mesh - both mechanically attached,,, trowel on base coat of polymer-modified cement w/integral color then, when dry, another coat of same & carve,,, flashing as rqd.

addl insulation's always a good idea Beer 4U2 i'm leery of river stone w/o mechanical attach, brick ties, &/or brick ledge.
If I understand, you would put your vapour barrier on the bare outside wooden wall, about 4' high and then also attch wire mesh. By mechanically attached could I simply nail? At what stage would I put my insulation...attach to wall before or after vapour barrier? Looks like I would then put a coating of polymer cement over this whole area and let dry and then commence to place my stones with a cement mixture and build my 4' stone wall??

Old 05-10-10, 09:51 AM
A couple of things here. Vapor barrier first, then insulation,and the metal lath attach all 3with those green cement screws and a washer or with those nails that have the large sheet metal plate under them typically used to hold the foam board. Put a scratch coat of cement on the lath with a trowl that leaves 1/4 inch grooves. Start your rock courses on a foundation. If you start on top of dirt, the dirt will heave and leave the bottom unsupported. Build up as you described but take your time and let the levels set up before stacking too high. I have done a couple of fireplaces this way and they have held up well over the years and they look great.

Old 05-10-10, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by zznotop View Post
A couple of things here. Vapor barrier first, then insulation,and the metal lath attach all 3with those green cement screws and a washer or with those nails that have the large sheet metal plate under them typically used to hold the foam board. Put a scratch coat of cement on the lath with a trowl that leaves 1/4 inch grooves. Start your rock courses on a foundation. If you start on top of dirt, the dirt will heave and leave the bottom unsupported. Build up as you described but take your time and let the levels set up before stacking too high. I have done a couple of fireplaces this way and they have held up well over the years and they look great.
Thanks!.....would you build a small cement foundation or could you just pack some gravel?