uneven stone patio

Old 05-02-10, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
uneven stone patio

my house's previous homeowner did a diy flagstone patio..it is uneven and very poorly done, essentially unusable..but i want a patio, i like the layout, and don't want to break up and haul away the existing patio.

can i put a sand bedding layer down on top of the uneven stone and pour a concrete slab on top of that?..could i do it and add only add 3" to my patio elevation, say 1" sand and 2" slab?..could i use wire mesh reinforcement or is rebar necessary?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-10, 03:39 AM
Given your southern location, you [I]could[I] do it, but it would be much better to tear it out and re-do it all. If you do it your way, make sure to use wire mesh and I would have the concrete company add fiber to the mix as well. For such a thin slab, any reinforcement would be better than none. Rebar would be preferrred, but on such a thin slab you wouldn't get enough coverage around it.
As to the sand bed, I would put just enough sand on top to level out the base and create a bond-breaker over the stone. This may mean over an inch here and less than 1/4 inch there. Pour the concrete as thick as possible with concern for the height of your door threshholds. 3 inches of concrete would be better than 2, but you need that sand bed/bond breaker.
Make sure to place more than the usual number of crack control joints in the new slab, because it will crack. Good luck.

Old 05-05-10, 02:57 AM
we've got a place at hhi & there's no fnd under our stone patio,,, why not just rip up the flagstone & do it correctly ?

we would do what you describe very easily however pecos' caveats would be VERY applicable !

we wouldn't use wire mesh OR rebar as they add nothing to compressive strength &, w/correct jointing pattern, nothing to flexural strength, either,,, +, to correctly install wire/rebar where its rqd is almost impossible to say nothing of the spec requiring 2" of conc above AND below !

Old 05-05-10, 11:09 AM
reinforcing

thanks, guys..for a patio, is fiber alone sufficient, or are you suggesting no reinforcement?..seems odd not to put wire mesh in it.

Old 05-05-10, 04:37 PM
I would use fiber at a minimum. As stadry said, it would be hard to get the rebar properly placed (concrete coverage above and below it) in the slab if you are only pouring a couple of inches. Wire mesh could be even worse due to the curling you get with it. The mesh would probably be sticking out the top of the slab, or simply laying on the bottom where it does no good. In retrospect, fiber is really your only reinforcement option pouring so thin.
Proper jointing would be a MUST in this situation. I'd still tear it all out and do it right (4 inches of concrete) if it were mine.

Old 05-05-10, 09:13 PM
no slack for an old, fat guy, huh?

ok, ok..i'll break up and haul off the dang stone..it will have to be carted out (uphill) at least 150 feet by wheelbarrow..by me..and i'm gonna have to do the same with a manual pour of the slab, which is now twice as thick..or you could come do it for me..but thanks.