Hole for A/C unit in block garage wall

Old 05-11-10, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hole for A/C unit in block garage wall

I would like to put a rectangular hole in my concrete block wall for a window shaker style A/C unit would it need a lentil on the top of the hole or would the hole be ok with out it...whats best way to put hole in besides a gas powered concrete saw
I live in Florida and I would like to cool down the garage to use it in the summertime(well now! LOL)
Would I have anyother options with a window unit...I was considering using a window unit on a dolly and pulling down the garage doorbut that would leave a gap on top because door is not down all the way and off I would need to fill in bottom area with sometime of removable short wall and off course the sides (I will have to deal with the sides even if it was in wall) also another question its about a 20ft by 24 ft garage with 8 ft ceilings what size unit would do the trick
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 04:11 PM
Temporarily Suspended
An electric chipping gun would do the trick. I would say an 8,000 BTU unit would be big enough.

Old 05-12-10, 04:39 PM
If you mean a large hole, then you need some support in there. I would also go for a through wall A/C unit.

Old 05-12-10, 05:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One problem with newer window ACs is they have side vents. In very thick wall the vents may be partially blocked. One way to get around this is to install the AC partially recessed into the interior face of the wall. Whether this will work depends on the design of the particular AC.

On a concrete block wall I would build a full jamb of PT 2X10 ripped to 8". Assuming a one story structure and only a couple of rows of blocks above that should hold the upper blocks in place.

To cut the wall first score on both sides with an angle grinder of a masonry blade in you cheapest, least, favorite, oldest circular saw. Actually I'd use a dry diamond blade in the circular saw. The diamond blade is more expensive but you will only need one. You may need 4 or more carbide masonry blades. For me it is esier to follow a line with a circular saw. You will still have to break it out but you shoild get a straight break and the jamb will cover any roughness.

Old 05-12-10, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
An electric chipping gun would do the trick. I would say an 8,000 BTU unit would be big enough.
I have a 4 inch tile saw with diamond blade and of course a circular saw with fiber reenforced blade and I have an air chiesel(does air chiesel work like a electric chipping gun?)
Yes I guess I can make a box out of PT 2X10 for all around jamb and add a shelf outside to accomodate a/c unit with side vents
Yes its a one story house and I am not sure the hole may not be more then 24" wide

Old 05-12-10, 07:17 PM
Michael -

Since you are in Florida and have a block structure, you will probably have either a reinforced cast in place concrete or a block (depending on age or code) lintel/bond beam for the top 8" of the wall. Since you have an opening of 24" wide, this should span the opening adequately unless there are several stories above.

Dick

Old 05-12-10, 07:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
and add a shelf outside to accommodate a/c unit with side vents
You shouldn't need to recces it more then 4"-5", just enough to clear the vents. You can use the same supports that are supplied for use when mounted in a window. Please note recessing it may make removing the front to change the filter difficult so you may have to make the jamb larger then the AC and fill in on each side behind the front. One way is to make a second jamb of 1X4 flush with the outside that actually surrounds the AC. That gives 5/8" clearance on each side of the front of the AC.

Old 05-12-10, 07:43 PM
concrete block florida style home one story actually a A/C unit is only about 18.5 inches wide I gave a ballpark figure with surrounded wood window sill/jamb

Old 05-13-10, 04:06 AM
I have another question are the blocks filled with concrete making them solid every few inches or is that only in the corners?

Old 05-13-10, 06:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
An air chisel should work.