What kind of cement should I use for these different jobs?

Old 05-15-10, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of cement should I use for these different jobs?

I have some water seeping through my basement floor, not a lot just some puddling along a wall where my oil tank was replaced and the workers had to remove a copper tube that was buried. What is the best cement to use to patch and seal it? Hydraulic cement? I also have a couple of other patch jobs that I need to take care of and was wondering if I could use the same cement for all three. I need to seal a small crack in my outside foundation, a crack in my cement garage floor and some cement around my basement hatch and stairs. What would be the best cement for all of these jobs, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-10, 09:50 AM
There is no one cement to use for all applications. There is also a difference between cement (and ingredient) and concrete (a mixture of Portland cement, aggregate, water and possibly additives).

Hydraulic cement is a unique, fast setting cement that rekies on being able to expand slightly and lock into the adjacent sides of a crack/opening. It has been used successfully for decades in stopping leaking in residential, commercial, industrial and civil (dams, etc.) structures. It must be relatively dry and is never used as a coating.

Portland cement is used in many types of concrete along with the necessary aggregates, water and often admixtures. If you order concrete for a footing, slab or wall it is a mixture of Portland cement, aggregate (sand, rock), water and possibly admixtures.

For general patching and small applications, there are a number of specialized blends of material available in specific formulations for different needs.

When selecting the proper material, it is necessary to define what you want to do and find a material for that need. In some cases, a material in a squeeze tube may be good for small quantities,

Old 05-15-10, 10:07 AM
thanks for the reply, I haven't had much success asking the guys at home depot what I need because they just end up reading the labels like I can do, so I was hoping for some specific products for each application.

Old 05-15-10, 10:22 AM
For patching dead cracks, what is commonly (and incorrectly) called hydraulic cement is fine. Cracks to be repaired need to be profiled to a minimum of 3/8" wide x 3/8" deep, with square edges.

For live cracks, the joint profile is the same, but either bond-breaker tape or backer rod should be placed in the bottom of the crack which is then filled with a high quality joint sealant made specifically for masonry (like Sonneborne NP1). If there will be hydrostatic pressure on the live joint, it will have to be primed with the recommended primer.