concrete foundation deterioration

Old 05-16-10, 04:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete foundation deterioration

Hello

I have an 8 year old home which I purchased last year. I have noticed that at the entrance of the garage, on the left and right sides at the very top of the foundation there seems to be some deterioration, or better, 'erosion' of the concrete foundation at the corner.

To better explain the location; if you were to stand in front of the garage door, then look down to the left and right, where the foundation and the garage floor starts. I have included a picture of the right and left sides as well.

These appear to be the only areas where the foundation looks 'damaged'.

Also, at the start of the garage floor, some erosion has taken place where the garage floor seems to have been 'worn' away. I can actually see some of the small clear stone rocks that were used during the pour....almost looks like exposed agregrate in some places.

Once inside the garage, the floor is nice and smooth with little or no wear.

I live in Canada, so my assumption here is that the erosion could have been caused by salt application on the driveway, and cross-contamination from the vehicles during winter months.

We do get some harsh weather up here, so that included with the pelting rain, ice pellets, etc etc. might have led to this after 8 years of abuse (?).

I am considering using some cement patch just to make it look a little better.

- Thanks

Foundation Erosion pictures by Mach73 - Photobucket

Old 05-17-10, 05:14 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The left side looks like it sunk. Is that just the camera angle? Could you post some wider angle pics? Cement patch won't last very long.

Old 05-17-10, 06:01 AM
M
Hello Pulpo

No...the foundation has not sunk...its just the camera angle. Do you think that salt would cause this erosion?

Old 05-17-10, 11:10 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
No, I don't think salt would have caused it.

Old 05-17-10, 06:18 PM
M
Hello again

Do you have any idea's? Maybe they dragged something across that area for the last 8 years or so....there is no evidence anywhere else for that type of erosion.

Old 05-18-10, 07:36 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think there was an external cause. I think it was the mix itself or the way it set.

Old 05-19-10, 01:16 PM
M
Hello again Pulpo

Do you think that the whole foundation is suspect? In other words....all the concrete came from the same source so do I have anything to worry about?

The rest of the foundation looks pretty solid...just in those two areas. I am thinking about using some hydraulic cement just to make them look a bit better.

Old 05-26-10, 03:57 AM
S
if you're describing the condition accurately in words i can understand, there's nothing wrong,,, perhaps the guys could've use better vibration but those pinholes/bugholes're minor,,,

patch w/mortar if it bugs you

Old 05-26-10, 01:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Mach7, as long as that corner hasn't sunk, the only problem is you don't like the way it looks. You have nothing to lose if you try the hydraulic cement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: