12" foundation block need brick ledge

Old 04-26-00, 09:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm building a Garage with:
12" foundation block, concrete slab, wood structure, and brick exterior. Should I pour my concrete slab on top of half the 12" block to create my brick ledge? On the concrete slab the wood wall would be built and the brick ledge starts on the 12" block half. Is this a sound building practice?
Wayne
West-By-God-Virginia

Old 04-27-00, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Typically with block the slab sits between the block, it's isolated from the block with an expansion joint, it may or may not be tied to the foundation wall with steel extending from the block (code specific) and the framing and brick sit on top of the block.

Your idea is a combination of an all concrete foundation (where the brick shelf is formed into the footing section below the surface of the slab and grade) and block plus slab construction. What stands out most is the problem of placing a vapor barrier and/or insulation under the slab when the slab spans half of the block. I cannot say specifically that it cannot be done this way, but I have never heard of it being done this way either. Best bet: check with the local Building Department, and build to code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: