natural stone masonry estimates

Old 05-23-10, 10:20 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
natural stone masonry estimates

Hello all. I am now ready to hire a mason to apply natural stone to our concrete porch and landing ( approx 80 sq ft total area with one 8 ft long step from porch to landing.) Aside from viewing some of this persons work, what do I look for to find someone who will do a good job? Is it better to pay time/materials or by the job? If I go time/matereials, what hourly rate can I expect to pay? I live in western ORegon. thanks.

Old 05-23-10, 04:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You can get a price from a local stone yard on the materials.

Call the dept of consumer affairs, to see if there were any complaints about contractors, whom you might hire.

In NY a contractor might want $500 per day labor. How many days do you think the job will take?

Old 05-26-10, 03:52 AM
S
even when i was in ny, t & m work was for crack heads,,, any self-respecting mason'll laugh,,, his profit's none of your business,,, expect him to make $ - LOTS of it,,, remember, you're buying his skill,,, this is a bargaining issue - find your guy by looking at his work done.

we often get calls from those who ' know ' our work ahead of time,,, even mtl costs,,, usually ends up by me telling them we're busy & can't get to their project in their unrealistic time frame,,, even had 1 guy say - ' HOW CAN YOU WALK AWAY FROM $ 7,000 ? ' told him it the 7 was that big, he'd appreciate the exercise AND save $$.

& stop watching tv - this is real world stuff ! good luck !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: