How to level a 4" slope on a concrete slab

Old 05-24-10, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to level a 4" slope on a concrete slab

I am converting an outdoor screened in porch to interior space. The original concrete slab has a 4" slope on a 17' span. I plan on putting down a floating floor when I'm done. What is the best approach to levelling the floor? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-10, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would think the easiest way would be to put tapered sleepers and a plywood subfloor, then your finished floor.

I imagine the concrete guys will also have a solution. Might want to give a few more details. Is the a ground level slab w/ no footers? Will you have enough head room for the 4" rise in floor height at the end?

Old 05-25-10, 07:07 AM
The slab is built up about 1 foot off of the ground. I have no idea if there are footings. There is enough ceiling height on the floors low end to accomodate the change in slope. Can you explain the best way to construct a tapered sleeper. My thought is to place a 2x4 on the ground and with a leveled chalk line indicate the pitch and try to cut fairly straight on the line with a circular or table saw. Is this about right? thanks

Old 05-25-10, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thats what I would do, yes. You'll probably need to use 2x6 for the sleepers since you need to have enough wood to attach at the narrow end. So you'll actually start at, say 1", then go to 5". You'll need to use treated wood since it's in contact with concrete. You may also need to put something between the concrete and the wood, then anchor with Tapcons or similar.

Surprised that none of the Pros have weighed in....might want to also ask in flooring?

Old 05-26-10, 04:42 AM
i'd layout the p/t'd 2x4's & use blocks underneath to level - watch your spacing which may vary depending on your sub-floor,,, i used 3/4" t&g p/t 5ply,,, certainly seems less expensive & more accurate than ripping 2x6's,,, gravity should be enough to hold the thing in place.

Old 05-26-10, 07:35 AM
I disagree. Cutting the sleepers to fit will make every sleeper custom made for that location. You won't be fussing with shimming all day. Secure it to the concrete. You will be better off.

You can also choose the to cut the bottom of the sleeper instead of the top. Put the sleeper down, level it, then scribe the bottom.