Foundation issue

Old 05-29-10, 10:34 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Foundation issue

I have seen posts similar, but not really hitting this. I have a 56 year old house that my parents have had since I was young. Before my dad died he let his cedar 'bushes' become cedar 'trees' planted about 24 inches from the house. To complicate matters the house was unoccupied for a couple of years after his death and the gutters had been clogged for years. He was getting water seepage in our basement which is concrete block and cement. To add insult to injury...to try and stem the flow of water he laid down vinyl mats all along the front area of the house, between the trees and the house.
I have since moved here and replaced the old gutter system and removed all the trees along the front of the house. I then have excavated to the point of where I see horizontal cracks ( about 4 feet deep )on the inside . I counted blocks to estimate...and have measured a slight outward bow. However the outside has hardly any inward bow nor any cracks. While I am down this deep all along the front, I want to seal the blocks. There appears to be some sort of painted on material which, if it is tar, is very thin and brittle. I don't really want to rent a sandblaster. Muriatic acid has not cleaned it. I got Dry-lock, which I now regret having read other posts, and have already used a bit of it. So now, I am considering coating the blocks with cement, painting that with the dry-lock...just to use it and increasing the grade away from the house. I will worry about the inside as it has become static with the water drainage away from the foundation at another time.
Does anyone want to guess what the material is on the house? Built in 1954. Should I cement over it? If so, should I get the grating and do it that way? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by healing_hands; 05-29-10 at 10:42 AM. Reason: wordage
Old 05-29-10, 06:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would suggest that you dig the rest of the way to the footing & seal the entire section with a membrane that's made for that purpose.

I can give you more detail if you are interested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: