concrete slab over existing deck

Old 05-31-10, 04:27 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concrete slab over existing deck

also posted in the decks section

I have a wooden deck, 12' x 24', 2 x 10 x 12 joists with 2 x 6 decking. It is not free standing and is supported by 6 x 6's along the side spaced 6 ft apart (3 total) and on the front spaced 4 ft apart. It is attached to the ledger brd on the house and about 3ft -4ft off the deck. I have been thinking of pouring a slab over the existing deck, or adding concrete backer board and tiling it. Last resort is to use a different board on top. I have 4 dogs and it gets a lot of use and I am tied of painting it and the way it looks. question
1) How too put a slab over the deck
2) can I tile over it if so how

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 12:25 PM
H
Concrete slab is a bad idea due to the significant weight it will add.

Tile will be slippery when wet, covered with dew, etc.

It may be difficult to get a level enough surface to make the tile job acceptable. The tile will also be subject to freeze/thaw stresses, and movement from the wood structure that causes cracking and possibly popping tiles loose.

Have you thought about trex or some similar synthetic wood product that wouldn;t require painting/sealing?

HB

Old 06-08-10, 03:40 PM
F
Your deck is not that high off the ground. If you want concrete I would demolish the deck, erect a block wall perimeter, fill it, and pour slab on top.
That's basically what I'm currently doing with my deck. But in my case the deck was in poor shape and had to be demolished anyway. I didn't want to deal with wood any more.