How do I seal a pea gravel patio?

Old 05-07-00, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My backyard is a nightmare! The cheapest option to cover an 800sf area of dirt, is to use smooth pea gravel to make a patio. My question is: How do I seal the gravel in, so the pebbles don't get carried all over the yard? Should I use concrete? What is the easiest/quickest product to use to accomplish this?

Old 05-07-00, 06:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm not exactly sure of what you mean by sealing the gravel in.

If you mean some sort of top coating the only two ideas that I can think of off hand are using sand mix (sand and cement in a bag, many brands are available) and using using an overlay product such as Kool Krete (AKA: Cool Deck). The problem with using either over pure gravel as a topping material is they are both destine to early failure.

If you mean selecting and using edging materials the link below provides basic information (look for the listed subtopics). http://www.bhg.com/default.sph/home_...n__Aindex_html
Planning Patios and Pathways
Selecting Edging Materials
Installing Loose Paving Materials

In the planning stage: would it be possible to install a smaller concrete, brick, or wooden deck on grade (like a large wooden pallet) [or series of] with a few pathways and use rock islands and garden boxes for decorative purposes instead of the entire area rocked over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: