How long before top coat needed?

Old 06-01-10, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long before top coat needed?

Hello,

We bought our house in 2008, and the previous owners had put a new asphalt driveway in in 2007 and notified us that the top coat had yet to be installed - just the binder coat was installed. I called the contractor and asked if it was OK to skip the top coat another year (meaning waiting until 2009) and he said yes. Well here it is 2010 and we still have not done a thing to the driveway. We live in NY so we get lots of severe weather (90 in summer and below 0 with lots of snow in winter). How important is it to get the top coat installed?

Money is tight as we had to remodel the kitchen last year, but I don't want to damage the binder coat either and have to dig it up and start all over either.

Thanks.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-10, 02:07 PM
Ideally the sealer should go on within the first three years for best results. We have gone well over that before but we regretted it later as we got some cracking that required crack sealing then a chip seal to control. Im talking private roadways and not a driveway so we have more traffic. The asphalt will lose its flex as it dries out and the sealer is supposed to help keep it from drying out and cracking.

Old 06-19-10, 04:33 AM
not so fast, terry this guy's never had the d/w completed - only gravel base ( nysdot item # 4 ) & base course ( binder ),,, the top ( wearing ) course is yet to be paved.

if his contractor gave that answer, i'd respect it,,, paved too many roads in ny to 2nd guess the guy onsite,,, the top protects the base & sub-base ( binder & gravel ),,, its also more attractive & keeps the asphalt cement from being oxidized thereby losing adhesion & compaction,,, there's nothing to prevent the h/o from applying sealcoat of asphalt cement/water emulsion to protect for the time being,,, do NOT use coal tar, tho,,, try to find the sealer where the sealcoating guys buy it or work a deal for 2 spray coats w/someone.

got my binghamton driveway to last 30yrs,,, that's a fairly good svce life up there.

good luck !