Installing Glass Block in Brick Exterior

Old 06-01-10, 07:10 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Glass Block in Brick Exterior

Hey, I'm looking at installing a single row of glass blocks between studs in a 2x4 stick frame (weight bearing) home with brick exterior facing and I'm wondering whether there is an issue with supporting the opening once I've removed several bricks for the glass opening. I could use advice on brick removal and finishing of the opening.

I plan to place 2x4 cross supports between the studs and setting the blocks flush with the brick face, or recessing the glass blocks only 1/2 in or so, use mortar around and between the bricks, followed by either using tile or wood to frame in the interior recess for cosmetics.

The home is a two story garden home with little light (no natural) in the first floor master bath, kitchen, and laundry rooms. They are all very dark and require light switches used any time of day, so I think adding these will really help the place, but opinions and advice appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-11-10, 06:42 AM
I
No reply yet...I saw somewhere that a lintel, which is a heavy reinforcement, should be used above a glass block window, but the example shown was quite large, encompassing a 3x5' area of the wall. My biggest concern is whether I need to do the same for my narrow single row of blocks. Anyone?

Old 06-11-10, 01:17 PM
Typically, code requires a lintel for any opening 12" or larger. Having said that I would not install glass block with out a lintel. I've never heard of "structural" glass, and I know that there is nothing structural about a glass block. How big is the opening?

Vince

Old 06-11-10, 01:51 PM
I
Thanks for the reply Vince.

I'm looking at using three blocks across, a 6"w x 8" h block flanked by a 4"w x 8"h blocks that will allow light through the 2x4 studs. The studs are weight bearing, so I don't want to mess with changing the spacing of them. So, I'm looking at roughly a 16"w x 12"h gap in the exterior brick.

I'm not familiar with the use of a lintel, I checked the local stores, but didn't find a good text. Is it just a thick, flat steel bar set in the mortar? Would I just chisel the mortar out, then set it in with new, quality mortar? Do you have a suggestion on where to find a good source to find out where to buy the piece and install it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: