Pour concrete/cement for copper color

Old 06-17-10, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pour concrete/cement for copper color

I am in the process of finishing an open deck fire pit/fireplace and would like to add a molded fireback made with cement or concrete. I trying for a copper look as I have trimmed it with hammered copper.
How can I do this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-10, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For casting you will need a pigmented concrete mix - cement is just one component of concrete.

If you cast the units yourself, there is no guarantee of the suitability of your cast unit with the conditions and exposure.

It will take time to determine your mix design requirements for such a small application. Aggregates and mix proportions have a great deal of influence on the suitability.

Generally, precast concrete elements from a plant are made using large batches with extreme accuracy. The good pigments are synthetic iron oxides (very, very strong pigmenting and very pure). Because of the strength and concentration, the mix must be used to avoid weighing the pigment by the gram. Avoid anything called a "dye", any organic pigments and carbon black.

For a copper colored concrete, you will probably using a blend or red, yellow, brown and black iron oxides. It could be difficult to even purchase such a small quantity and the total maximum pigment weight is not more than 10% of the cement weight and usually is much less.

The test color should be evaluated after the units are fully cured (not just surface dried), so time is involved just determine the end color.

Dick