Rain Entering Chimney

Old 06-20-10, 07:15 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rain Entering Chimney

Some background: Our house is 3 years old and has a TALL brick chimney (house is 2 story plus full walk-up attic) on one end of the house. The chimney is just for a fireplace and has no cap or damper on top. It does have a mortar crown.

This spring we had record-setting rains, some were wind driven 'noreasters. We had problems with rain running down the firebrick in the back of the fireplace and then into the ash pit in the basement (and then onto the basement floor). I looked up the flue in the fireplace with a flashlight and could see water running down the inside of the tile liner.

I am planning on having a stainless steel chimney cap installed. Both chimney guys quoted waterproofing the chinmey as well. Is this something that really needs to be done? Is it worth the expense? What happens if I don't do it? It's hard for me to believe that brick is so porous that a significant amount of rain could penetrate the brick and get inside the tile liner.

Old 06-21-10, 02:50 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
why's it so difficult to believe your eyes ? that chimney's 3 stories or more UP which made it difficult for the supt to ck the work - same masonary sub = probably didn't ck,,, nevertheless, those guys got pd & they're gone,,, you might ck your h/o warranty but doubtful its worth anything by now.

waterproofing brick's done w/silicone siloxane,,, your problem's either repointing OR membrane,,, if you don't trust either of their opinions, get a 3rd quote/opinion

who sez the liner's mortar jnts're correctly done ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: