Stabilizing Precast Concrete Steps

Old 06-23-10, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stabilizing Precast Concrete Steps

We have precast concrete steps inside of our garage for the entry into the house (two stairs) and the entry into the back yard (one stair). Right now they are just stacked on top of each other, and are a little unstable, and rock a little bit when you walk on them, so I was thinking about how to stabilize them.

My first thought was to get some rubber tape, life the stairs up, and apply the tape to the underside of each riser. Hopefully this would fill any gaps between the two uneven surfaces but also allow the stairs to be removable in the future - should that need ever arise.

I was also thinking of using construction adhesive to bond the risers to the concrete garage floor (and to each other). This could also allow me to secure the back of the treads vertically to the concrete portion of the garage wall. Wondering if I would need to use some kind of spacers to prevent the weight of the stairs from squeezing out all of the adhesive though? PL has a landscape block adhesive that I thought would suit my application pretty well:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...=10051&langId= 15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Any thoughts on this? I wasn't able to find anything relating to it online.

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-10, 05:03 AM
we'd use sheet lead & cut it into 1" x 1" pieces,,, you might try large steel washers if you don't mind rust stains.

landscape adhesive doesn't have to have compressive strength

Old 06-24-10, 08:41 AM
Any other adhesive suggestions instead of using landscape adhesive? What about a good construction adhesive?

Also thought cedar shims might do the trick as well, and they're a less permanent installation option...