Stackable Brick

Old 05-10-00, 03:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I am interested in using 'stackable brick' to replace log stumps that border a semi -circular flowerbed along two sides of my backyard. The 'brick I am referring to is sort of hexagonal in shape and about an inch high (sort of like brick steps). It stacks without mortar. I want to know how to prepare the soil beneath the bottom row. Do I need a rock bottom? If so about how deep? Can it be any kind of rock? Is there a certain pattern to use for the stacking? Can I just remove the stumps and stack the brick in its place? How do I back fill it or do I need to?

------------------
Dave

bdogs@silcom.com

Old 05-13-00, 10:22 PM
Visiting Guest
I do not have a definite answer to your question, but I do have a question for you. Would you mind sharing your source of supply for the stackable bricks?

Thanks.

In general edging is either laid on a base of crushed stone or sand over landscape fabric. The choice of, and the depth of, depends on winter weather and the frost line. Rock for harsh environments, sand for moderate ones. The typical depth starts at 2 inches and continues from there. Sometimes sand is used over crushed stone. For more perspectives on how to please see the post FAQ / newbie resource. The sub-links: Selecting Edging Materials, Laying Brick Patios in Sand, Installing Loose Paving Materials, may provide the insight needed.

Old 05-24-00, 08:13 PM
Visiting Guest
The above answer is a good guide line.

Probably depends on how permanent, you want the installation to be.

Many stacked brick or similiar installations are taken apart and changed around every so often. A plain old dirt base is ok if that is the case.

For a super long installation, you should go with a cement footer base with the requirements for your area.

Shorter times, gravel / sand, etc. The determining factor how fancy to get is how long do you want / expect it to last.

Old 05-25-00, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rambler:
The above answer is a good guide line.

Probably depends on how permanent, you want the installation to be.

Many stacked brick or similiar installations are taken apart and changed around every so often. A plain old dirt base is ok if that is the case.

For a super long installation, you should go with a cement footer base with the requirements for your area.

Shorter times, gravel / sand, etc. The determining factor how fancy to get is how long do you want / expect it to last.

<HR>

I hope that the person that posted above you (rambler) gets this. I live in California and pretty much any Home Do It store has these. They are flat and have about six sides being one inch or so thick. 'Home Do It Center' 'Home Base' 'Home Depot' all sell them but I'm not sure if you have these stores on the East Coast and I don't recall their actual name.

Old 05-25-00, 10:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Yes, these type block are available all over the United States as far as I know.

They certainly are in the Boston area, same sources as you mentioned.

Maybe your use of the term brick is what caused the question.

Usually the same folks who make cement block also make some type of stackable block. Mostly a local thing to keep shipping costs down.

From the more specialized product brick, masonary, block retail yards there is a dazzling array of products in all size, shapes and colors for that purpose are on the market today.

Old 05-26-00, 07:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the question did aries over the use of the word brick instead of block. A few months ago I ran across a web site that sold stackable nail on brick veneer or mortarless veneer, and from the use of the word brick, I thought that there might be a new product on the market.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: