Please help! Tracking concrete dust thru house!

Old 07-14-10, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help! Tracking concrete dust thru house!

Hi Everyone! Im' hoping you can help me. We purchased a new home and the concrete in our basement and garage has large amounts of concrete dust that we bring in every time we set foot on them.
I've read a bunch about concrete sealers and just wanted to confirm that this is the solution I should use to eliminate the concrete dust? We went to Home Depot and they guy said we should use muriatic acid instead.
I'm worried about being able to clean this concrete for the sealer (if that is indeed the right way to go). I vacuum and sweep the heck out of it and the dust just keeps coming up and seems endless.

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-10, 05:38 PM
What type of vacuum and what type of filter is on that vacuum? Concrete dust is fine and if the filter isn't good enough, you are just blowing it right out of the vacuum and back into the space.

Old 07-14-10, 07:23 PM
You might have poor concrete which is "dusting". It's caused by a weak surface where the cement paste on top keeps turning to powder. Do a Google search for "concrete dusting" and see if you can find a product to solve it. Typical sealers are not the answer, since they will dust off as the surface does.

Old 07-15-10, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the responeses. The vacuum I use is just a shop vac. I'll do a bit of Google searching but would love someone with more advice to chime in.

thanks!

Old 07-15-10, 12:18 PM
Muriatic acid is a cleaner that's often used prior to sealing or painting of concrete floors. A sealer is used primarily to keep spills from permanently staining the concrete. It also helps in sweeping. Depending on the severity of the dusting you are experiencing it can also help reduce the dust.

If you Google concrete dusting you can find lots of info and product recommendations that will correct the problem.

Old 07-15-10, 12:45 PM
The acid will make the problem worse. You need a consolidator or densifier. Sodium Silicate will help for cheap, while the others are pretty pricey.