Gap Between Concrete Floor and Wall in Basement

Old 07-26-10, 01:40 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gap Between Concrete Floor and Wall in Basement

I hope this is the right place to post this:

I have a finished basement. Its floor and walls are concrete. It is all below ground level. The lower two feet of drywall have been removed (black water flooding).

Between the concrete slab and a 20-foot-long wall is a 1/2 inch gap for floating purposes. Moisture (not water) has been coming up and has rusted out the baseboard heater housing along that wall. Basement is 30 years old. Never knew there was a problem until the flooding. I have removed the moldy felt and cleaned the area.

I have been told that packing something like Henry's Wet/Dry roof cement down that space would stop the moisture. Another person said that such products will stink for quite a while, and that there is a special product made for that purpose. It comes in power form and is mixed with water.

Should I use the roof cement, or use the special product, or just leave the thing alone?

Old 07-27-10, 07:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are going to attempt to solve the problem from the inside, use hydraulic cement. However, as I've said many times, it's better to dig to the footing outside & seal the entire foundation with a membrane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: