New Power-Driver User - 3 Questions

Old 07-26-10, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Power-Driver User - 3 Questions

I have to fasten about 50 feet of 18ga steel to a concrete foundation (housing for hyponic heater). I bought a "Dual Fast" powder-driven strike hammer, some loads (#4, I believe, for concrete), and some 1-inch nails. I never used one of these tools before so I have some dumb questions.

1. What is the little plastic thing-a-ma-bob on the nails and why would I need it for my application?
2. Are 1-inch nails sufficient to hold the heater housings (one fastener every 3 feet or so)?
3. I assume the nail make its own hole in the 18ga on its way to the concrete? The instructions say never shoot into a predrilled hole.

Last edited by Pipsisiwah; 07-26-10 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-10, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
1) The plastic thingy keeps the pin centered in the barrel. It will disintegrate upon ignition and lift off.
2) 1" is sufficient. Use a brown or green charge, not yellow....too hot.
3) The nail will make a hole in whatever is in front of it....fingers, metal, wood.
4) Be careful, wear safety glasses and hearing protection. Just like being in a shooting range.
5) the only dumb question is the one you hold back and don't ask, then get shot in the foot for not asking.

Old 07-26-10, 08:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Chandler, can you clarify this for me.
The instructions say never shoot into a predrilled hole.
I would read that as in the concrete not the object being fastened. With heavier metal such as metal Jboxes I would align it with existing holes in the box so the nail wouldn't be slowed before it got to the concrete But that is just my opinion.

Old 07-27-10, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Unless the predrilled hole is precisely the same size as the shank of the fastener, your box or wood, or whatever will wobble and possibly shoot clear through, negating the effect of the fastener. I use the ones with washers mostly when installing bottom plates, just to prevent over shooting.
Seems just the opposite of positive placement nailers, where you MUST insert the tip of the nail into a predrilled hole. Odd, huh? I guess the power of the charge makes a difference as opposed to air pressure.