How to Finish Concrete

Old 08-05-10, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Finish Concrete

Hi All,

I hit the 8x14x16 concrete base in between our garage doors while backing in(felt really stupid doing that). The impact exposed 3 hollow cinder blocks (1 is mostly buried) stacked together and held with a little bit of mortar. While base crumbled, the bumper look like nothing happened. The builder must not have thought the base is load bearing because it is so crappy. The wooden structure resting on top of the base is intact including the ones holding the garage doors.

Option Plan:
A. To use solid concrete blocks(8x4x16), stack them up and use the mortar as adhesive then finish the exposed surface.

B. To make a form and pour quickcrete and then finish the exposed surface.

Option A seem easier but option B is going to be a more solid base. What do you think?

There are so many mixes of concrete/masonry stuff, which mix do I use to finish the surface?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-10, 08:13 PM
I'm assuming that the base you hit is actually part of the foundation and the measurements are in inches. I think if it is block I would replace it with cinder block except I would tie it in to the foundation with rebar and fill the block cavities with concrete.

Old 08-06-10, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Wayne.

Yes it's in inches. I initially didn't call it a part of the foundation because the cinder block is just sitting on dirt. I thought foundations should be more solid with concrete and rebars, this one just had empty cinder blocks all the way through dirt. So yes, the block I hit is part of the foundation.

Old 08-06-10, 09:07 AM
Is the entire foundation just block sitting on dirt? I think the only way that you can get away with that in my area is a pole building where the framing includes poles/posts that are either embedded or resting on concret footers. Is that what you have?

Old 08-06-10, 07:42 PM
I know it's hard to believe, the blocks are just sitting on the dirt. The cinder block at the lowest point is held the concrete slab of the garage floor. I stuck my hand on the empty cavity of the block and touched soil, no gravel or concrete. I know the poles you are talking about, I've seen them on flood prone coastal zones and no we don't have those poles.

Our house is in a community built by a big developer 34 years ago. So I guess they were able to get away with it.