Painting concrete and block

Old 08-13-10, 05:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting concrete and block

I have concrete and block front steps. The paint is flaking off and the concrete is starting to flake a bit as well. I want to paint it this weekend. Is there anything special I need to do to paint this? I was told just scrape loose paint, primer over everything and paint it. Is that all I need to do? Can I use a roller or does it need to be a brush? Can anyone recomend a paint?

Old 08-13-10, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
It can be difficult to get paint to adhere to concrete and when it's exposed to weather where rain/snow can lay on it - that can make it even harder to get a lasting job

Scrape off what you can and remove any dust/chalk before applying your primer. You can use a roller although you'll likely need a brush for some of it. You'll want to use a porch and deck enamel. Shouldn't make a whole lot of difference whether it's latex or oil base. If you can remove 95% of the paint, you might want to consider using a solid concrete stain. It might not last any longer but there will be less prep needed when it's time to recoat.

Old 08-13-10, 06:58 PM
Thanks, that is what I will do tomorrow. Do I need to do any sort of acid etch? I linked a pic. Most of the paint on the top has flacked off and the cement has flaked bad too. I just want to get something on it to stop it from getting any worse. Should I use a wire brush to clean the steps?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Last edited by 71GTO; 08-13-10 at 06:59 PM. Reason: picture didn't work
Old 08-14-10, 04:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No acid! that's only for new concrete that is slick and needs a 'tooth' for the coating to adhere.

I'd use a combination of a scraper and wire brush. If you have trouble removing all the dust, thin oil base primer about 20% or add flood's emulsa bond to latex primer. Hopefully that will allow the primer to suck into the deteriorating concrete and give the paint a better bond.

Old 08-14-10, 05:16 AM
Thanks, for all the help.

Old 08-14-10, 07:59 AM
I'm going to start scraping now. I picked up the paint and primer. the primer and paint say to only primer over bare concrete If the paint is still good just paint over it with the enamel. Pretty much the whole top of the steps is bare. So I am jsut going to primer over that and then paint the sides over the old paint after I wire brsh it a little? OR should I primer the whole thing?

Old 08-14-10, 10:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect all the horizontal areas will be bare concrete once you've removed the loose paint. The sides are probably the only areas where you'll have paint left. Short answer - follow the directions on the can
It won't hurt to get primer on the existing paint but it sounds like it's formulated for bare concrete and might not bond as well to paint. A little bit over the existing paint won't hurt anything.

Old 08-14-10, 06:22 PM
Thanks, I got of as much loose paint as possible with compressed air and a scraper. The sides the paint would not come off with out serious grinding. I didn't see your post until after I did it, but I used the bonder over everything and I have one coat of the paint on it now, it looks good. I figured it might be better to use it then not. The paint says to wait 24 to 48 hours to do a second coat, so I will do another coat tomorrow atleast on the top. I should have enough paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: