Foundation wall waterproof coating

Old 08-15-10, 03:14 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foundation wall waterproof coating

Hello.

I have a question regarding the black tar like waterproof membrane they spray on the outside of the foundation wall before they backfill.

Are there any area(s) or circumstances that they would NOT apply this coating?

The reason I ask is that it seems they 'stopped' the application of this product at the beginning of the attaced garage.

If you look at the attached link to the picture....(where the green bin is)....this is where the black application is delibretley 'stopped' . It coincides exactly where the garage begins....I am not sure if this wall goes down 4 feet or not.

I have dug down about 2 feet and still cannot find any waterproof membrane.

The house is 8 years old and is built by a very reputable builder...everywhere else around the house is the black exteriour coating...(except on the other side of the garage where that foundation wall is also absent of coating).

The included picture shows the garage, the green bin is where is garage floor begins.

I am not haveing any moisture or water issues at this time.

Thank you.

Here is the attached link to the picture:

foundation_home :: Roof_work.jpg picture by Mach73 - Photobucket

Old 08-15-10, 03:58 PM
Apparently, the builder did no think it justified the minor cost to do the area (even though the equipment and crew was there) since this is a sign of minimal construction dictated by cost.

Is there any proper waterproofing like drain tile and proper backfill around the foundation?

Where is the location? It is a long time since I have seen new construction with overhead power. Even 30 years ago, ay my cabin in Northern Minnesota we had buried power service for reliability and low maintenance for the utility.

With the slope of your lot, you SHOULD not have a problem, but water and soil properties can be unpredictable.

Dick

Old 08-15-10, 04:04 PM
M
yes...there is proper backfill etc. I don't think cost was an issue...there must be another reason....just not sure what it is...

Old 08-15-10, 05:56 PM
M
Thanking all of you who read my concern.

Just to let anyone else know I have found the solution to my question . Apparently the foundation wall running along the garage line is a 'frost wall' and does not require the black waterproof membrane as there is not living space on the other side...only gravel to support the garage floor.

This frost wall is also 4 feet deep to accomodate the frost line code here in Nova Scotia.

Thank you for all of your replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: