Need to level mfg home - any helps

Old 08-20-10, 07:16 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Need to level mfg home - any helps

I bought a mfg home 3 years ago. My home is now showing slight cracks. I found out I probably need to have it leveled. Is this something I can learn to do. I can't afford to hire someone.

Old 08-20-10, 08:06 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Is it a home that is on a trailer frame and was placed on the lot and blocked up then a skirting placed around the bottom?
Or was it trucked there then set on a foundation?
My guess is the first one. You can remove a section of skirting to get underneath to see if it looks like the trailer was blocked up with wooden wedges. I will say it was. You would need more of these wedges and a hammer. Also a hydraulic jack and some concrete blocks and wood to set the jack on so you can lift where needed. This can be determined with a level inside the home on the floor. Sometimes the wedges are just a little loose and you can just hammer them under the frame better to level the home. Sometimes it needs a little more wedge.
But remember cracks can be from settling or vibrations. Sometimes the walls themselves are settling and causing the cracks and the foundation is fine (or the levelness of the house).

Old 08-21-10, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Ya, a modular home might be a big undertaking to level but a mobile home isn't that hard to do, especially if it's a single wide. You'll need a bottle jack [12 ton or better] and a way to support the jack so it can reach the frame. You'll also need a good level. Originally they would have used a water level [long clear plastic tube filled with colored water] but I've done decent releveling MHs with a 4' level. Save yourself some trouble and check the MH's floors with a level before getting under the MH.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: