Concrete Paint or Stain?

Old 08-30-10, 12:01 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Concrete Paint or Stain?

I need to paint or stain my driveway in the next day or so, and was wondering what my options are. I'm concerned that paint will crack and peel, so was wondering if there is some kind of stain I can use that penetrates and dyes the concrete and doesn't peel.

Old 08-30-10, 12:09 PM
M
Found some concrete stain at Home Depot. Think I'll go that route. However, the driveway isn't a consistent color. I've had to do some patching here and there, so I'm concerned that the stain won't hide these color variations. Would a lighter color be better at hiding these inconsistencies? I planned on a light gray anyhow.

Old 08-30-10, 02:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 822 Upvotes on 721 Posts
I don't know about the concrete stains sold at HD. I have used a bit of H&Cs concrete stains, their a solvent based solid color stain. They wear decent and seldom peel. It won't hide differences in concrete texture although it should make the color uniform.

Between the moisture above and below the driveway, it's hard to get a coating to last on exterior flat concrete. Anyway around staining your driveway?

Old 08-30-10, 03:59 PM
M
I had to patch quite a few areas and the HOA requires that I coat the surface to a uniform color. Only options I know of are to paint or stain, and staining seems like the better option to me.

Old 08-30-10, 07:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sher-wms bought h & c,,, while we don't use it, its sure as **** better'n anything you can get out of an apron store,,, then again, its your d/w - despite receiving advice, you're bound to do whatever you want,,, post again next yr when it all goes to ****

stain wouldn't be an option were your driveway were mine & my level of expertise matched yours

ps - forgot to mention we do this work for a living

Old 08-31-10, 03:10 PM
M
Not sure exactly what your post says, but I will check out Sherwin Williams.

Old 08-31-10, 03:23 PM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stadry1
sher-wms bought h & c,,, while we don't use it, its sure as **** better'n anything you can get out of an apron store,,, then again, its your d/w - despite receiving advice, you're bound to do whatever you want,,, post again next yr when it all goes to ****

stain wouldn't be an option were your driveway were mine & my level of expertise matched yours

ps - forgot to mention we do this work for a living
Jeezus - chill out. This is a place to help people. The guy simply asked a question.

Old 08-31-10, 03:32 PM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
I need to paint or stain my driveway in the next day or so, and was wondering what my options are. I'm concerned that paint will crack and peel, so was wondering if there is some kind of stain I can use that penetrates and dyes the concrete and doesn't peel.
I'm in the same boat. I have a concrete walkway that I poured in 3 sections intending to stain it to match and that would take care of any variations in shade between the pours.

I have had mixed results with Behr paints so I'll probably pass on their concrete stain. There are lots of bad reviews for the Quikrete stain also. I'll probably end up at SW.

Old 08-31-10, 08:33 PM
S
behr has always been a no-no for us,,, sher-wms has 844 tints for solvent-based sealers,,, there's not much good to say for anything from apron stores in the dec conc arena.

Old 09-01-10, 11:18 AM
Mossman,
I don't know where in NO. Va. you are but there are a number of specialty supply houses between you and me. (I'm in Manassas). Try Virginia Contractors Supply in Manassas Park.
703-368-2950 Ask for Phil, He has been around long enough to answer your questions and recomend a product for you. If you go to there store look down, it is a good example of a concrete stained floor.

Good luck
Vince

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: