Sandblasted brick is now spalling. What should I do?

Old 09-02-10, 06:36 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sandblasted brick is now spalling. What should I do?

The previous owners of my home sandblasted the brick exterior, and now it's spalling. In some cases I've pulled off pieces as large as the bricks themselves. I applied a water sealant on one side of the house about 2 years ago, and it seems to have stopped the spalling on that side.

I'd like to treat the other side, as it's now in rough shape as well. What can I do to prevent the spalling? I'd like to apply more sealant, but I'm not sure if that's the best option, or what type I should use.

If sealant is the way to go, what type should I be looking for? I've seen suggestions for a silane/siloxane type of sealant.

Any suggestions are really appreciated!

Old 09-03-10, 05:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Sorry to say this, but you could be in real trouble - brick is not hard enough to stand up to sandblasting, it never should have been done

Old 09-03-10, 05:56 AM
S
I agree completly thats to agressive, why was it sandblasted?

All you can really do to slow down the inevitable is a silane, siloxane or blend of water repellant. Stay away from urethane, silicone, acrylics or any film forming sealant.Make sure it’s 100% breathable and allows water vapor to escape..

Read the directions carefully some need to be applied in favorable conditions. They should also mention how many years it will lasts. The part of the house you already treated may or may not need hit again depending on what you used, because it varies. (1yr, 2yr, 5yr and up)

Old 09-03-10, 06:50 PM
F
I've no idea why they sandblasted it, I'm just dealing with the fallout. Is there a specific brand name that I should be looking for?

Old 09-04-10, 09:54 AM
S
I use Prosoco mostly.. Protectosil, Nox-crete are a couple other big names, there’s a bunch. A supplier in your area will have what you need. Water based penetrating repellant with said chemicals.

Its hard to form an opinion on exactly how bad your situation is on a message board. The integrity of your walls will become suspect if there not already. Your headed for trouble that much is certain, how much time do you have is the question.

Once the face of your brick is gone and the core is exposed it goes down hill in a hurry and nothing can save it. Might be a good idea to spring for a professional to come out and analyze things. An engineer will give you the straight story.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: