New to Batter Boards, need some help.

Old 09-26-10, 02:49 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New to Batter Boards, need some help.

I've been reading the how to guide over at Making lumber Profiles

I've seen a couple different guides and they are more or less the same, one difference I noticed was some use the 3-4-5 triangle method for squaring others just measure diagonals etc..

I want my batter board lines to not only be square, but to also line up almost perfectly with the 4 corner peg boards. It looks like I am just eyeballing where the string goes in relation to the corner peg, judging by what I'm reading, and that doesn't seem like it would be very accurate (for me at least) Am I missing something? I've yet to actually try this so maybe I am.

Old 09-26-10, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What are 4 corner peg boards? The pythagorean theorem ensures a square measurement (3-4-5). Measure out from the building on each end the same amount. Start at one defined corner and use the 3-4-5 method to square the line from the building to the outer line. Do the same on the opposite end. Several ways to do it, this is just one.

Old 09-26-10, 07:20 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The 3-4-5 and measuring diagonals are both accurate. One may be more convenient to use than the other depending on circumstances. You should be using a plumb bob to line up with the pegs, not your eyeball. It's been a long while since I've done this myself, but I do remember being taught to put a saw kerf in the batter board after the strings were set. That way you can put them back in place easily after you have taken them down.

Old 09-26-10, 08:20 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good advice guys..I like the saw kerf idea.

I'm going to be doing this alone, so is there any method other than driving nails in the board every time i want to move the string to get it square? I saw some special reusable metal batter boards for sale that had a sliding track that you put the string on so you could easily move it. Just wondering if there are any tricks of the trade here.

Old 09-27-10, 06:11 AM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I use a QR clamp to hold the string in place. Once I get it square I mark the board and drive a screw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: