adding stone veneer to existing rough stone wall

Old 09-27-10, 11:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding stone veneer to existing rough stone wall

Hi, I want to add a real stone veneer to an existing rock retaining wall on my property (see picture).

As you can see from the picture the existing stone wall is very rough and does not offer a good surface for the stone veneer tiles (they are in 1" x 2' x 6" sections, Rox is the manufacturer).

So would it be better to build a new wall just in front of the existing one to add the stone veneer too, or is there a way you can attach lath to the front of the existing wall and parge onto that?

thanks!

Old 09-29-10, 04:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem that you are going to face with adding wire lath and a parge coat is that the coating is going to be thicker than normal. The addition of the setting mortar and stone adds to the total weight on the fasteners that hold the lath to the wall. You are asking much of the fastening system. You would also need to make sure that all of the vegetation is completely removed from the existing wall. I think that I would frame a wall in front of the existing wall, anchor it to the existing wall and face it with cement board. Apply the tile to the cement backer board. Is there something at the base of the wall to anchor the bottom?

Good luck.

Old 09-29-10, 07:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
You'd have to do it anyway, why not clean up the wall and see whether that alone would suffice - the veneer sounds like a lot of work for what I would consider to be little gain

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: