Basement/Foundation Window - New Frame Backfill?

Old 09-30-10, 12:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Basement/Foundation Window - New Frame Backfill?

Hello,

We purchased a 90+ year old home last year in Door County, Wisconsin. Since that time we have embarked on several projects. While having some electrical work performed, we discovered a basement window that had been covered with boards.

The frame was made out of 2x8 sides and 1x8 top/bottom; this was rotted significantly. When I took out the old frame some of the cement that had been between the limestone foundation and the frame broke away. This leaves me with a pretty rough opening on the sides: limestone rock and some solid/some loose cement.

Assuming I replace the entire frame with 2x8 pre-treated lumber all the way around to hold a new window (hopefully before the snow flies)...

Could I simply back-fill between the limestone foundation and the frame with cement or would some other type of fill be preferred?

I should mention that behind this window is not a basement wall or room. It is a 3' wide by 2' high crawl space that is about 10 feet long to our partial basement. The bottom and sides of this 'crawl space' are solid stone and cement. The top is first floor supports made from logs, large logs.

Let me know if this plan sounds ok or if I need to re-think this.

Thank you in advance!
Ryan

Old 09-30-10, 01:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,268 Upvotes on 1,208 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Given that there isn't a room on the inside of this window, I'd be inclined to wall it up and backfill the dirt again instead of putting in a new window

Old 09-30-10, 02:13 PM
S
I did give that some thought, but it does provide some useful light to a pretty dark basement. I have been doing some reading and it sounds like Hydraulic Cement / Portland Cement is my best bet....

Old 09-30-10, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sertainly looks like an old Door County home. I like the mess of wires, etc. above the window.

Your plan sounds O.K., but would try to put in a vinyl window because of the location.

If you fill in go with a Portland cement and sand pre-mix (Sakrete, Quikrete) or a type S or N mortar mix to even out the surface that the treated wood will go on. Hydraulic cement is intended to be forced into confined cracks to fill and seal somewhat since it expands against the sides at it quickly cures. Hydraulic cement is not meant to be coating or a general filler.

Dick

Old 10-01-10, 08:58 AM
S
Thank you for the additional info.

The electrical work that I mentioned was replacing those clearly visible cloth wires haphazardly dangling from our siding. We now have a clean conduit holding everything.

Definitely going with a Vinyl window.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: