Cost per SF estimate for new concrete driveway

Old 10-05-10, 09:03 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cost per SF estimate for new concrete driveway

I realize this is subjective depending on local markets (I am in Minneapolis)..but I would appreciate any estimates on the cost to do a 16 x 40 (640 sf) driveway. I had someone tell me $6 per sf, which would make it somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000.

Does this seem reasonable for this type of driveway? Just need a baseline to determine what is a fair deal.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-10, 02:41 AM
P
What is there now? Does the contractor need to remove an old driveway to do the work or is this new construction?

Old 10-06-10, 09:01 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I had my 450 sf garage concrete floor replaced a couple of months ago and it cost me $15.00 per sq.ft (Canadian Dollars). That is to dig out the old concrete and pour the new concrete with re bar installed. Minimum thickness of new floor was 6”. There was no need for the soil preparation under the existing slab since my house is 25 years old and any earth settlement is already done. There was lots of compacted gravel under the slab but the existing slab had no rebar and that is why it had cracks all over the surface.

A driveway located in your area will be subject to freezing temperatures and therefore the soil under the driveway must be inspected. I also did at the same time my 1000 sf driveway and the cost for asphalt was $6.00 per sf or $15.00 per sf for pave-uni. The preparation of the base is the same for both types, dig down about 12”-15”, slope the earth properly and put 3/4" gravel for about 4”-6” which will drain any ground water towards the street and on top of that another 6” of 0-3/4 well compacted gravel. On a concrete driveway especially large one like yours, expansion joints are very important. Also the slab thickness should be a minimum of 4”, preferably 6”, with rebar at the middle of the slab and a concrete strength of about 4500 psi at 30 days

$6 per sf does not sound a lot to me but then again I don’t know the labour cost in your area. Perhaps you can ask the contractor what exactly he intends to do and then you decide.

Old 10-06-10, 09:27 AM
W
Sounds like as good as a ballpark might get without an actual quote, At one point I had found an online calculator that had ranges of price per square foot for various regions and I had an estimate from that of $8000 for my driveway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: