low patio flower bed concrete retaining wall in Texas

Old 10-06-10, 10:38 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
low patio flower bed concrete retaining wall in Texas

We want to build a 2' high retaining wall next to a patio slab to make a narrow flower garden. The garden will likely be not much more than 12" wide and about 15' long, and run along a sloping area. We will cover the outside visible wall with a man made flagstone material.

What is the minimum thickness of the wall he should build, how large should the footings be, and how deep should they be set considering the warm Dallas area climate, but also Texas clay base. Would it make sense to use re-bar every 2 feet vertically and then tie in horizontal bars to add strenghth, and should these vertical bars be set into the clay or only into the footings.

Old 10-08-10, 07:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
One way is to use cindar block. Dig about 18" down, set the first row of block in a wet mix & build on top of it until you get the desired height. The vertical rebar can't hurt. Send it into the clay & put cement around it. Horizontal rebar isn't needed.

Old 10-25-10, 11:28 PM
E
Thank you for your suggestion of using blocks. What I did do in the end was pour a walk way adjacent to the wall that will be used as a footing also for the wall, and have decided to make the wall out of cut stone. When looking for some cinder block I found the stone and realized that this was a far more practical way to go as it provides the strength but also the one step look that I think makes sense. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: