New asphalt and grass growing through!

Old 10-10-10, 07:47 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New asphalt and grass growing through!

About 1 ½ months ago I had my driveway paved by a bunch that just showed up at my door. I know, I know, go ahead. Anyway, there appears to be a couple “loose” spots that must be thin. There are three or four sprigs of grass growing through it. They removed all the grass with a skid steer but did not spray to keep it from coming back under the asphalt. I doubt I can get any help from them as there was no contract. Is there anything I can do myself about the grass and the loose spots? I can kill the grass but it will keep coming back. Would a sealer help?

Old 10-11-10, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

So they didn't put down any type of rock base?

Weedkiller and blacktop sealer is probably the only thing that can be done short of ripping it up and starting over. Expect it to be an ongoing thing

Old 10-11-10, 03:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,261 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I had a couple spots like this on the edge of mine and I would pound the asphalt down with a hammer in those areas

Made me feel better, at least

Old 10-13-10, 06:40 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys. I am a machinist and a long time DIY guy. Makes my wife so mad. Example-Our dryer was old. Every few years a pulley\bearing would go out in it. Each time she though she was getting a new dryer. I would simply machine a new pulley and install a new bearing (bought bulk for 1.25 ea)and it was good to go. I finally gave in. If momma isn't happy.........

I am a little concerned about sealing the driveway, it only about 6 week old. From what I can read you usually seal it after it at least a year or two old. But if grass can come through so can water. If water gets beneath it an freezes this winter that can't be good.

I will try the hammer too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: