Aggregate question for pavers

Old 10-13-10, 09:58 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aggregate question for pavers

Installing a walkway with 15x15x2 pavers.

Landscape yard offers crushed gravel in 3/4' and 3/8'......which is best for the sub-base?

Landscape yard also offers fine dead sand and stone dust......which is best for the layer above the sub-base?

Old 10-13-10, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since your placing "stepping stones" and not interlocking pavers, you best bet would be a suggestion from your local landscape yard where you buy the local aggregate and probably bought the concrete slabs.

Do not be confused with the specs for interlocking concrete pavers where much high strength is achieved, but they only use a 1" setting bed of level, UNCOMPACTED clean concrete sand over a compacted base using the same base material as used under roads.

Terms like "gravel", "stone dust" and "dead sand" are regional terms that can have no real uniform meaning elsewhere.

Dick

Old 10-14-10, 09:39 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pavers were purchased from Home Depot, naturally they are going to tell me to buy the bagged aggregate they supply...and is a HUGE expense comparably.

Since these aren't interlocking, do I want to stagger the joints the same way a hardwood floor is installed?

Old 10-14-10, 11:10 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I agree with Dick that terms for "stuff" like grave varies widely according to the area you are from.

In my area the 3/4" to 3/8" is referred to as stone although sometimes the 3/8" stuff is called pea gravel. I have used pea gravel for walkways and 3/4" stone for my driveway. I would not use either in a situation where it must be compacted. It just doesn't compact well.

Gravel, again in my area, is used to describe any number of aggregate products. If I were ordering gravel as a base for setting pavers I would ask for "crusher run" gravel. This is the stuff left over from making crushed rock. It contains anything from 1/2" on down. We also have bank run, bony gravel, fine gravel, screened gravel etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: