Putting wooden handrails on concrete steps

Old 12-14-00, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Would anyone be able to tell me how I could find out how I would secure a new wooden handrail to an existing concrete set of steps?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-00, 10:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Within the criteria outlined by most building codes a number of possible way exist. If sidewall, return or receiver socket attachment is not possible one design involves fabricating a hand rail support system of 1 1/4" x 1/8" steel square stock, embedding it within the concrete, then routing the wooden handrail for attachment to the steel square stock.

This project may be beyond your abilities or access to tools. The specifics involved dictate the method of attachment. Generally, newel posts are either embedded within the concrete or bolted to it.

Old 12-15-00, 06:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info 2000. You're right. This is beyond the scope of my capabilities. I will have to have someone do it.
Thanks again.

Old 12-30-00, 09:01 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello

No I do not think you need to get some one to do it for you. Get you 4x4 bolt them on each side. top and bottem to the concret steps. Us a roto hammer drill two 1/2"holes for each post install bolts with epoxy. Now drill the post, bolt them on cut to hight and add the handraill and senter suports. The bottom post may be able to just set in post holes and one bolt into step.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: