Concrete driveway repair help please

Old 11-10-10, 02:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete driveway repair help please

Hey everyone:
We have a house with a concrete driveway that has cracked due to tree roots. I have estimates to replace the driveway for $5000 and want to know if I can patch somehow. My thought was to dig down into the clay, lay some gravel and then hopefully, somehow cement these pieces together. I know this will not last a lifetime, but if I could patch it up and get a year or two it would help. Just can't even think about replacing the driveway and spending $5k right now. You can look at photos here:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance, I really do appreciate it.
Take care
Dan in Atlanta

Old 11-10-10, 04:11 PM
What ever you do some or most of the cracks will quickly re-appear.

Those are not new cracks.

Live with it as well as you can and as long as the tree continues to grow.

Intermediate term plan is to replace the driveway after what you want to do with the tree, that may also add value to your home.

Dick

Old 11-10-10, 08:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Dan, I'll take the converse. Is the tree still there??? If not, you should be able to dig down to hard pan, lay in some gravel, form it up and make a pour. BUT if that tree is still there, see Dick's comments.

Old 11-11-10, 06:13 AM
D
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

Yea, the tree is still there and it is actually a cluster of four trees that are, 80-90 feet tall... I really don't want to cut them down. Not only because of the expense, but they do add to the way the house looks, in a good way.
Had a "expert" come by and told me he could just "dig down some, cut the roots out" and everythng would be fine, as these were smaller roots. Funny he could tell how big there were just from looking for about 10 seconds... Needless to say, we will not be going with this guy.
I was hoping we could find an easier way to do this project, but it looks like when the time comes, I will just have to bite the bullet and do it right the first time.
Thanks again for the help and this is why I love this forum!
Take care,
Dan in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: