Should pavers move prior to compaction?

Old 11-15-10, 09:31 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should pavers move prior to compaction?

I'm installing 17x17 concrete pavers. I'm finding that some of them rock slightly (very slightly) when stepped on PRIOR to running a plate compactor over them. Is this normal? Will a plate compactor resolve this issue?

Old 11-15-10, 09:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I assume you compacted the base before putting the layer of bedding sand down for the pavers?

If so, I would think you have some gaps in the sand under these pavers and would address that first - big pavers can crack/break without the proper foundation under them

Old 11-15-10, 10:22 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch17
I assume you compacted the base before putting the layer of bedding sand down for the pavers?
Correct. The aggregate was fully compacted. The sand was fully leveled.

I don't really see very many divots when lifting up the paver, the sand is pretty uniform.

The real giveaway is you can hear the concrete pavers rubbing against each other as you walk across them.

Old 11-15-10, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Those 17x17 block are generally referred to as "stepping stones" for landscape applications. Real pavers are smaller (less than 10" maximum dimension).

For your 17x17 use, make sure you have a solid compacted base. If not the stepping stone can crack and the rocking will allow moisture and "dirt" to get under it and the problem will continue.

A plate compactor will try to even out surface variations, but should be used first to get a strong level base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: