How many steps?

Old 12-16-10, 04:04 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How many steps?

We recently purchased a property that has a partially completed fieldstone wall that fronts a parking area in front of and below the house level. In the center of the wall, in line with the house front entrance door, is an opening approximately 4' wide where steps were supposed to be. These steps would take you from the parking area level up to the house level which would be about a 5' rise. How do we determine how many stone treads we need to get us from parking area to house level?

Old 12-16-10, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Divide your height in inches by 7 or 8. In your instance at 5' or 60" you would have between 7 and 8 steps. Steps should be around 18 united inches.....rise plus run. So if you have a 7" rise, you will need an11" run. The shorter the rise, the longer the run.

Old 12-16-10, 07:49 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To add a little more detail to what chandler said, you take your total rise and divide it by the desired height of each step. Divide 60 by 7 and you get 8.57 steps. Obviously you can't have a fraction of a step. To fix this issue, decide if you want 8 or 9 steps(9 will make each step shorter, 8 taller). I'll go with 9 for the example. Now divide 60 by 9 and you get 6.66" for the height of each step. Keep in mind you don't want a step to be higher than 8" and you want them to all be equal.

Old 12-17-10, 03:12 AM
P
A little more to what the others said: The steps also need slope to allow water runoff. Depending on what the steps are made of, you would need more or less slope. For instance, if they are to be plain, flat concrete, they would need approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch per foot of tread. If they are to be stamped concrete or natural stone, they will be bumpier and more likely to hold water, so the slope should be 1/4 inch per foot or slightly more.

Old 12-17-10, 04:06 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You don't say where you live, but up here in Minnesota, land of snow and ice, I use 6" as my goal for as long as I can remember. The stairs are much easier to use in the winter when things get slippery. If it goes a little over 6", no big deal. Don't forget the handrail. I should also add that I use 12" for the tread width.

Old 12-17-10, 04:40 PM
P
Ok, thanks guys. I think I can figure things out with the info you provided. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: