shfiting cylinder brick den wall

Old 12-20-00, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
hello, i have a add on den to our modular home which was added on about 20 years ago. the ceiling of the den is your
typical frame roof and the back side and back walls are cylinder blocks set on a concrete foundation. we also have a fireplace that was placed in front of the concrete wall.
recently, i discovered that the cylinder wall or the fireplace itself is separating from each other. a cursory
exam of the fireplace indicates that the bricks are firm and
shows no signs of stress. the block wall behind the fireplace appears to have stress as if it shifting backwards
on the foundation. i have about a two to three inch gap between the fireplace and the wall. i need to know if it is
possible to to restrain the wall from further separation and
probably eventual collaspe by some means or is this a problem that will require the removal of the wall and placement of a woodframe wall? also, by what means, if possible, could the wall be restrained from further separation? additionally, if the wall can be restrained, can the gap between the fireplace and wall be cement filled?

Old 12-20-00, 04:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Ken,

When you say "modular home," do you mean a house that is not built on the ground? Maybe up on piers?

Anyway, when something starts to move, it very seldom stops. Mother Nature is relentless. Need a little move info about the foundation of both the house and the fireplace.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 12-30-00, 06:52 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
I understan that the wall and fireplace are on the outside wall of the add on room not the house, so the house does not matter?
If so you can dig a footing allong side of the block wall footing and sister in a new one, use a roto hammer and install steel 1/2" dowels every 12" top and bottom of the old into the new use epxy to set them in the old.
After it has set you can fill in the gap between wall and fireplace

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: