Masonary type screen on a stone fireplace.

Old 01-12-11, 03:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Masonary type screen on a stone fireplace.

I would like to put up a fireplace screen on the opening of my stone fireplace. The screen I have states it's for a masonry fireplace. I want to build a cement frame in the front on the stone of the fireplace to give the screen a good seal.

The picture shows a rough outline of where the screen would go.

First of all what type of cement should I use and second, what is the procedure for getting the cement to stick to the stone?

Thanks
JohnP

Last edited by jpenn; 01-12-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Although you build a frame for this to sit in, I believe, from looking at your pix, it will not look good. I would opt for a free standing screen and allow the beauty of the rounded opening show through. I'd hate to see you mess up a perfectly good fireplace with concrete.

Old 01-14-11, 10:12 AM
J
Thanks Chandler

If you look at the photo you will see we have some plastic taped to seal it from drafts. We only use the fireplace occasionaly and we would like to prevent some heat loss when it's not in use. The cement frame I propose would fit just behind the doors so it wouldn't be seen. I just need to seal the area where the doors fit to the face of the fireplace.

John

Old 01-14-11, 12:22 PM
Try contacting a commercial glass shop. They may be able to order a heat rated glass and custom fit it to your opening. Be sure to tell them that you want it mounted behind the stone. They should be able to fasten to the joint between the stone and the fire brick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: