Front walkway breakage repair, underground lifting

Old 01-22-11, 03:11 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Front walkway breakage repair, underground lifting

My front walkway is cement, and definitely in need of repair. One spot in particular, it broke in half as the ground under it lifted, and grass is coming through. It is lifted about 1/2" (I know this is a trip hazard).

My question is, would it be best to just rip the whole walkway up and redo it, or would we be able to layer over top of the lower area?

Old 01-22-11, 06:25 AM
P
You would be better off to replace the whole thing, this time using rebar as reinforcement. The rebar will keep the sidewalk on a uniform plane. If part of it moves up or down, the whole thing will do the same, negating trip hazards. Removing the existing concrete may also allow you to see what's under it and causing the concrete to move. Maybe a large tree root? Are you sure one area has raised, or has the adjacent area sunk?
A patch would be temporary at best, and probably an eyesore as well. It would not match the rest of the walkway.

Old 01-22-11, 06:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sad to say, it's broke and needs fixing. It won't fix itself. You probably need to start again and do it right from the get-go. I am sure you will find by removing a portion of it, the concrete was poured on raw earth without a gravel underlayment, vapor barrier nor rebar (refence) support. Aah, with that said, how long is the walkway? It may be you can break out a section before and after the crack and just replace it with proper grading, gravel, etc.
How 'bout posting a couple of pictures as follows so we can see what you see. There may be a better solution. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html
You're too fast Pecos!!!!

Old 01-23-11, 08:19 AM
B
Problems like this are composed of two main elements known as cause and effect. I would like to know the cause of the problem and deal with that. Once that is determined we can talk a solution. So, tell us why this sidewallk broke or if you are not sure of the reason maybe you could answer where you live and the climate you endure, is there trees in the area, settling problems, water drainage. In the meantime,(speaking for myself) I can only guess at responding to this problem.

bs5

Old 01-23-11, 08:39 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
the concrete was poured on raw earth without a gravel underlayment, vapor barrier nor rebar (refence) support.
Vapor barrier under a sidewalk? How does that work given it's outside?

Old 01-23-11, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not really a vapor barrier per se, but to alleviate ground moisture from causing an improper cure. May not be necessary at all, since concrete cures chemically. Gotta get out of thinking structure

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: