Options to replace rotten wood in driveway expansion joints

Old 02-01-11, 02:35 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Options to replace rotten wood in driveway expansion joints

The wood in the expansion joints at my house is completely rotted out, and needs to be replaced. Is there another option besides wood? I spoke to somebody at the local HD, and they recommended a sealant, but it only comes in a standard size caulk tube. With over 160' of seams, this could be a very labor intensive, and expensive proposition. Any suggestions......???

Old 02-01-11, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I would imagine the joints are pretty wide..even using a professional sealant (not that I'm a Pro) would require a lot of work, filling the area underneath, compacting, adding backer rod, then properly applying the sealant. The gap may be too big even then.

Treated wood would probably last 10 yrs or more and would be a relatively easy replacement.

Our Pros will be around...

Old 02-02-11, 08:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I'd do something different if I was replacing the driveway but I'm with Vic that replacing the wood is probably the best option given how this was designed in the first place

Old 02-14-11, 07:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe try sand, larger backer rod, then self-leveling sealant

YouTube - How to seal joints and cracks in concrete

This video is from A-1 Concrete Leveling. A local concrete-jacking company quoted me $250+ to fill a 25' gap between brick house and concrete driveway. I purchased the sand, 3/4 backer rod, and self-leveling sealant. I bought the smaller 10 or 12 ounce from Home Depot, but they also have the same stuff in a 29-or-so ounce tube for larger jobs. With only 25' to cover, I figured I'd save $ by buying the smaller tubes and not having to purchase the larger gun. I think my material cost was $40-50.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: