tying 2 foundations together

Old 02-02-11, 08:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tying 2 foundations together

i am building an addition next to a part of my existing house that overhangs my block foundation. this is supported by 2 4 inch concrete filled "lally" columns. how do i tie in my new block foundation to this column

Old 02-03-11, 06:22 AM
B
It really depends on how much strength you need and there are as many different ways as there are block layers. One method since the column is already laid up and filled would be to drill two 3/8" holes at each block course joint. As the mason lays up the block lead for the new wall at each course he sets a full or half block and will tap it down to stay on course with the column block joint. A length of 3/8 rod can than be slid across the top of the lead block and into the predrilled 3/8" hole in column. When the new wall lead is completed cores are also filled which further anchors the new wall strengthening against any lateral push on the wall. You can drill 1/2" holes into column footing and drive 1/2 rod into existing footing and integrate with rod in newly poured footing for new wall.

bs5

Old 02-04-11, 06:01 AM
J
thanks for the advice. i'll be doing the work myself, but it makes sense to me. i have to draw the plans and get them approved. thanks again

Old 02-04-11, 08:11 AM
B
You can even shoot a little construction adhesive like liquid nails in that predrilled hole. It would serve to lubricate that 3/8 rod when it gets driven in and when it sets up should be quite strong if not overkill for the job at hand. You might also see fit to take a small grinder and cement grinding wheel or just a good old mason's brick hammer and remove a little bit of the block directly over the spot where it sits atop that rod. this will provide a bit of extra room should you need to tap that block down a bit and it is already bottomed out on top of the rod. Keep the rod in a good 2" in on either face of blockside also or you will have much more material to remove from bottom of outside block face shell. When you're done you will be chucking that core with grout anyway. Don't think that's not going to grab a hold of that rerod laying there in the block core.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: